Wednesday, May 31, 2006



I was very organised this morning and went into my nearest town early so that I could get back to start planting my bedding plants in the glorious sunshine. Everywhere I went from the post office to the pharmancy I seemed to face various delays, so typical, when all I wanted was to return to my garden and start planting in it. I bought two lovely candles one vanilla fragranced and the other pear, also stocked up on some cone incense in my favourite fragrances. In the market I was also amazed to be able to purchase two macrame plant holders at only £1 each. I have been searching for macrame plant pot holders for some time as I want to hang them in my bathroom window, I like to keep a lot of houseplants in the bathroom.

I returned home at lunch time and spent the afternoon happily planting my petunias and impatiens. I have been working out what I need to finish my summer planting. I really want some sempervivums for my alley way and to put in pots on top of the bench I am repainting, perhaps I will find some at a plant nursery on Monday.

When I am not busy in the garden and not doing any crafts my other favourite occupation is reading. I have just finished this book, 'The Prodigal Summer' by Barbara Kingslover, who is one of my favourite authors. It is set in the Mountains in the southern states of America, and although it is fiction, has some valuable points to make about ecology.

Now I have just started reading this book 'The Historian' by Elizabeth Kostova I do not know if any of you have read this, but there is certainly 600 pages of it. When I was in town today I did find time to visit the library and found a lovely book about vintage perfume bottles, which I love and also found a biography of Joni Mitchell who is one of my favourite singer/songwriters. So with my 600 page novel and the biography I should be busy and happy reading for some days between other projects. I love the feeling you get when you start to read a new book.

5 comments:

VintagePretty said...

Your garden looks gorgeous, from the photos you've posted, I can only imagine it'll be looking even better when you've finished planting :)

MariaJ said...

(Thanks for your nice comments on my blog)
Hello Daisy Lupin! My blogs address is redlupin so we are like blogsisters..Okay, you're just started your own blog. Thats a good choice. I like very much the view of your village you had earlier and also your garden is small but beautiful. You have so much flowers there! It looks like a paradise. Well done.

David (Snappy) said...

cant wait to see your photos when its all planted.hope the weather holds out.I just read all your posts from start to today.You live in such a beautiful area.Do you use local plants in your garden?Cumbria is hilly and exposed to the elements?Im in west yorkshire.Keep posting.I will mention your on my blog to link you.

Alice said...

I found your site via a comment you left on Marion's blog. Isn't it wonderful the way blogging increases your circle of friends across the world? I have been blogging for about 16 months but still get a thrill when I find another kindred soul somewhere in the world.

I've just skimmed through your site so far but I'm looking forward to going back and reading it properly, and will certainly add you to my list of Favourites.

Alice said...

Your mention of macrame pot hangers brought back memories of more than 30 years ago when macrame first became popular.

I made a few pot hangers and my daughter made a couple of lamp shades when she was in Primary School, but we've not made anything for many years.

I wonder if anyone still does macrame? I hope you find just the right ones for your bathroom.