Tuesday, April 17, 2007

ONE SWALLOW A SUMMER DOTH NOT MAKE

This is the Silver Birch tree that is in on the common ground behind my house and garden. This was taken in the early morning sunlight, which seems to be glinting on the new leaves which have just unfurled in the last couple of days. Look at that beautiful cloudless sky.

I was sitting in my workroom on Monday afternoon and looked out of the window across the street to my neighbour's yard and barn when suddenly a bird swooped and swerved in front of it, yes, it was a swallow, then another appeared and for some minutes they performed their acrobatic flight around the yard. Today, Tuesday, they are no where to be seen. I have noted this happens every year, the only thing I can think of is that a few swallows make up an advanced party fly ahead and check out their summer habitat then return to report to the rest of the group who are winging there way here. I am confident within the next day or so they will all be wheeling and diving in the sky. The weather has turned slightly chiller which reminded me of the above adage which I have used as a title.

This is the dove cote entrance to the barn that the crows are using, if you enlarge the photo you can see a large stick they have not been able to get inside, and it has got stuck behind the guttering.


I have been trying to photograph my crows, but they are such crafty birds. I got up early with the camera and went down into the garden as I noted from the bedroom window they were busy flying in and out the barn. I quietly positioned myself in the corner of the garden and waited, and waited and waited! I looked round over the common land behind and there were the cheeky birds just out of camera range sitting in a tree looking at me. So no luck yet, but I spent some time photographing various items which are illustrating this posting, explanations are underneath the photographs.

This is the ruin of an old forge [it has no proper roof just some corrugated iron thrown over some of it]. Inside, although the entrance is blocked up now, the forge fireplace is still in the corner. Look at the old wooden dovecote on the side. This is situated on the lane that leads away from the land behind my garden.

On Sunday we entered the fifth moon of the celtic year in which every month has a tree and I did promise to follow the months and tell you a little about the tree of the month. The tree is the Willow, also known as pussy willow or withey. In herbal lore the bark of the willow is used as a pain killer, it contains an ingredient that forms salicylylous acid which is actually the active ingredient in aspirin. Which shows there is a lot of truth in old time herbal lore. The Willow tree is connected to water and is also a tree of the moon. It is one of the traditional woods to be added to the bonfires on Mayday evening. It is said that if you sit under the Willow Tree and listen you will hear the voices of the fairies when the wind stirs the leaves. To plant a Willow tree near your home is to protect it and its branches make superb wands or dowsing tools. You can also carry a little piece of Willow with you to protect you when travelling. Folklore tells tales of Willows uprooting themselves by night and stalking travellers!

These three photographs were taken at Easter when the garden was just showing signs of Spring growth, the beds look sparse but beside some of the markers there are tiny plantlings coming up. The next task will be to put down a new layer of bark chippings.

This is my shrub corner, the lavender is sprouting new shoots and the broom is getting ready to flower and at the fore of the photograph my white lilac bush is showing off its new leaves.



This is the bed I was hoeing before I stopped to take photos. The honeysuckle is flourishing and the new growth of herbs has started in the pots.



Here is the Easter Branch I decorated for Easter, as I have said before, we don't really do decorations over here, but this was a late attempt at me doing some. I will be more organised next year and do more decorations. Unfortunately, by the time this photograph was taken the chocolate minature bunnies seem to have all been eaten.

Many thanks Pea, for telling me the name of the little girl in the red cloak in American comics, of course, it was Wendy the Little Witch. How could I have forgotten that.


12 comments:

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

I absolutely love seeing bits of your garden and some of the surrounding property. It's such an important part of who you are that it brings it closer. I love that stone barn and seeing where the crows have taken up residence. Hopefully soon they will allow for a photo shoot.
I like your Easter tree as well, do you keep it up year round and add things seasonally?
Hopefully soon the weather will change to a daily sunfest. Thank you for the info on the Willow as well, I always like the way they sway in the breeze.
Sending love and light,
Lisa
XOXO

Rowan said...

How wonderful to have already seen the first swallows, so far I haven't seen any nor the swifts and house martins which is what we have more of round here.
Willows are lovely trees aren't they? I have one in the garden which I keep pollarded every few years, at Christmas I cut the whips to make the base of my back door wreath - the one in the December post with the big red ribbon on it.
How nice to have a white lilac,I have to get my lilac fix from the one my neighbour has in his font garden - I just love the scent of lilacs.

Miss Robyn said...

willow hmmmm that explains why my nan had one planted in her backyard - it was to make wands! it was one of my favourite trees to play under when I was little...so, do you think I could make a wand from some willow? a fantastic wand for the moon would be willow and moontstones ! I wish I could come to Daisys school of wisdom ;) xoxo

Miss Robyn said...

oh & ps - I have been trying to get photos of the choughs that are in our magnolia tree but they are acting the same as your crows - I sit really still trying to get a photo and they fly off and watch me from the power lines.

Sheila said...

How lovely to be surrounded by so much nature and history .
Your garden is greening up and soon will be in flower. I remember last years glorious photos. The crows are so intelligent, I find it amusing that they will watch you and not co-operate..!
I loved reading about the willow and it's uses.
Hugs
xx

Janet said...

I wish I had just half of your gardening knowledge and skills! You always have such wonderful photos of your garden and it makes me want to grow something, too. I'm going to enjoy following you through an entire summer of gardening....to see the progress of all your plants.
There's a town here in CA where the swallows come each year, and people come from all around to see them. They talk about "when the swallows come back to Capistrano" - it's a big touristy thing!

Lila Rostenberg said...

Daisy, we love to see all the work you do in your garden and also see the lovely results! Thank-you for the information about willows...I have a piece of curly willow that I added to the grapevine wreath on my back porch. I also saw an article about an artist who had done a painting of each of the Celtic trees throughout the year. A very nice series of watercolors!

gma said...

Daisy these are great photos of your garden and out buildings. I love old buildings like that. How fun to watch the birds and work in your garden. Oh and your Easter tree is great. I have an old manzanita branch that I decorate as seasons change. Willows don't really grow here....too bad because they are beautiful!

Tinker said...

Beautiful photos, Daisy, thanks for sharing them with us - I loved seeing a peek at your garden and the dovecote (I've always loved that name).

Your Easter tree is so cheerful - a wonderful idea - every year I intend to put together one, and never quite get around to it, so you're ahead of me.

Love the willowlore!
XOXO

Anonymous said...

Wonderful pictures of your graden! I love them! Great shots!
*HUGS*

KaiBlue said...

I love looking at your garden because here we had snow last week, storms this week and my poor plants are suffering greatly from the pains of an overdue spring.
I wish i could get out and tidy up my garden and mow the grass, plants some blooms and share the wind chimes..
thankyou for sharing your day Daisy..
Hugs and peace, Kai.

Unknown said...

You have a fascinating focus and hobby here. I enjoyed the explanation behind the photos!