Thursday, April 05, 2007

APRIL COME SHE WILL WHEN STREAMS ARE RIPE AND SWELLED WITH RAIN



April, above, in the words of Paul Simon. We have had a beautiful start to April, unseasonably warm sunny days without any wind, but still getting a strong frost at night. You really have to temper your planting of young plants, the warm days beguile you into thinking how much they will love to be planted out in the fresh air, then the cold night hits. I planted out some trailing verbena, which I have never tried before, yesterday and woke up this morning to see the frost on the grass. With heavy heart I made my way to the garden and looked, oh dear I thought I had lost them, but tonight after a good few hours soaking up the sunshine they look as though they have perked up. I do hope so, I must restrain from too much planting.



We have had wonderful Moons since the beginning of April, waxing, full and now waning, but brilliantly clear and a fantastic cool icy lemon colour, one night, in particular it had a wonderful hazy aura round it for part of the night. So four wonderful nights of sleep for me with the Moon shining in my bedroom window, and as Spring has arrived and the bedroom winter is open wider the night breeze was making the mirrored discs on my hanging window ornaments chase around the bedroom, a wonderful free light show. I love an ice cold bedroom, I usually have the radiator knocked off at night, and to be toasty and warm under a really thick duvet. It's the mixing of cold and hot, bliss, sort of like a sauna and cold plunges I suppose.



Speaking of the Moon, the photograph above is of the Moon Goddess doll that Robyn made for me as part of the Hello Dolly Swap. This is not a very good photo of it, and I will have to take some proper ones, but at least you can see it. She is all white with golden eyes and some glittery moon net. Her hands are above her head holding up a Full Moon. She is adorned with objects with meaning in moonlore. In her little bag she carries a silver coin, crystals and precious stones. She also carries a little scroll telling lots of things that are connected to the Moon, such as colours, herbs, flowers jewels etc. I just love her, she obviously sits in my bedroom window with my moonstones at Full Moon. Thank you Robyn.



Does anyone else smudge, or clear their house with incense. I am a great believer in it. I usually get my special incense from a little shop that does postal order in Glastonbury. They do two lovely ones, one for house protection and one for clearing away bad energy. Sometimes I think if unhappy things have been happening or you have a lot of unhappiness or sorrow it can cling to the atomsphere of the house sort of multiplying until you are caught in a spiral of unhappiness that, for want of a better word, 'feeds' upon the negativity creating more of the same. To get rid of it you need to open all the windows, light the incense in every room or alternatively go through the rooms with a smudge stick letting the bad vibes fly out through the window. Try doing this and at the same time thinking a happy thought or singing a happy song even. Spring, even if your house doesn't feel negative, is a great time to clear the house for the year like this. Sort of like mental, or mind spring cleaning.



I have been running my Local History Group tonight and I am pleased to report that it really is going from strength to strength, the idea of an illustrated lecture with a speaker one month and a meeting to discuss items the next seems to be bringing people in. Every time I learn something I didn't know, and someone usually tells me a snippet of history of the village history. We are having an open day at the end of the month, where people can come and see us informally, they can look at what we have researched and found and bring items to show us that could be of interest. It's free and there are coffee and biscuits, so I'm sure people will pop in and out.

Time now to start relaxing for Easter, forget about sorting, serious gardening, housework, just have an indulgent few days doing whatever takes my fancy, I mean if that happens to be gardening thats fine. Really though, I have got a pile of books that are just about tippling over that are waiting to be read, I really could do with sitting in the garden reading and whittling that pile down a bit.

A HAPPY EASTER TO YOU ALL AND DON'T EAT TOO MUCH CHOCOLATE. WELL GO ON THEN YOU CAN IT IS EASTER!



16 comments:

Miss Robyn said...

I smudge my home once a month, sometimes more if something has happened that makes my home feel sad (I smudged it after THE MISHAP with the scissors) - I also grid my home with crystals, I have sticks hanging on my front door. I cover all bases:)
but I agree with you Daisy, as crazy as it sounds, it is important to smudge your home..
I have a few tips about cleansing the home - I will look them up and post them on my blog in a day to two....
thanks for scanning the dolly for me.. I cannot believe that I forgot to take a photo. I was so anxious to get it into the post.
love & blessings at this easter time xoo

Pam Aries said...

Hi Daisy! thank you for the April post! It is my favorite month! guess what? It is supposed to get cold here this weekend! YES! It doesn't happen too often in April in the deep South! I will have to cover the tender plants..and maybe even toss a log on the fire! .....I Smudge..using sage ..I also use some of my own concocted rituals ..and they WORK! Happy EASTER! AND I WILL have a lot of Chocolat!

Gypsy Purple said...

Have a great and blessed
Easter

Sheila said...

Happy Easter Daisy.
The doll Robyn made for you is wonderful, & as you say just right for your window with your moonstones.
The moon hasn't been visible for the past few days, as we are having a nasty spell of weather.
It is too tempting sometimes to plant early, and then a sudden hard frost puts paid to our hard work. I'm glad the verbena survived.

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

Another interesting post. I love the month of April...not hot, not cold and some days just the way I crave them...blue sky, slight breeze and semi cool.
I have a bag of sage smudge sticks that I recently purchased. I am definitely in need of it. I have a glass blown witches ball hanging in my window(sort of visible in my living room pic)to trap all negitivity and bad spirits. There are other things I am going to do in hopes to bring in some harmony and peace to our house.
Have a wonderful weekend...put your feet up, read and eat chocolate. Sounds like a great weekend to me!!
XOXO

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post! Love everything April!!! I hope that you have a wonderful Easter. :)
*HUGS*

Naturegirl said...

April is not bringing us showers here but a {{snowfall}}! Yes it is freezing here -2C with cold winds!My bunnies are freezing!
Yes I do smudge using sage have on several occasions.
Happy blessed Easter greeting to you!
hugs NG

gma said...

Daisy...maybe you should cover your verbana with a sheet at night until danger of frost is past.
I give my home a blessing with Sage smudge occasionally.
The doll Robyn made....is so very special....
sending love

Tinker said...

Oh, Miss R's moon doll is so dreamy~ you ladies in the swap are going to have the loveliest collection.
It's turned a little cool again here, too. So even though I'm anxious to get to planting, I think I better hold off a bit still, myself.
I've smudged with sage and sweetgrass, too.
Hope you have a relaxing and Happy Easter - and are able to whittle down some of that reading stack while enjoying your garden! xoxo

Carole Burant said...

It feels and looks like winter again here...my Spring flowers will never bloom until June if this keeps up! lol I love that doll Robyn made for you, she's just gorgeous. I haven't burned incense since I was a teen...I found it interesting what you wrote about it though! Happy Easter to you and yours dear Daisy! xox

KaiBlue said...

yes, i smudge my name in the dust of the ancients at least once a month in my house.. :) lol..
Seriously , I do you brush sage and Clean the elements..
what a lovely dolly.. did I mention I LOVE my hand delivered, most gorgeous moon baby?
Peace n hugs..Kai..

Lila Rostenberg said...

So fun to finally see the special Moon Goddess doll from Robyn!
A wonderful post about April, too.
I am tagging you as a thinking blog. (See my latest post on what this means!)

natural attrill said...

Happy Easter!
Penny.
x

Julie said...

Daisy,

I really can't stomach the smell of incense - literally. I would like to like it, but it makes me sick. But I do smudge with sage. Another person who commented on this post mentioned that she had purchased a bag of sage smudge sticks. I am fortunate to be able to drive for just a few minutes and walk on the prairie to pick my sage and dry it. Our North Dakota Native Americans and "New Agers" smudge with sage. I would like to study more of the Native American spiritual customs too.

Blessed Easter, Julie

Sue Seibert said...

Daisy, Happy Easter to you!!

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

Hello Dear Daisy!
I just came back from my vacation in Florida and I was wondering if you like seashells because I thought of you and every blog friend while I was spending my time there and got some if you wish to have them. Love and friends forever, Carmen
P.S. I love your blog and you made me think so you deserve very much your thinking blog award, Too.