Tuesday, April 24, 2007

I DON'T LIKE MONDAYS I WANT TO SHOOT THE WHOLE DAY DOWN - [courtesy of Boomtown Rats]

These are the stained glass panels in St Martin's church in Brampton, my nearest small market town. These images were designed by Sir Edward Burne-Jones, the Pre-Raphaelite artist.


Oh dear, that is exactly how I felt yesterday. I awoke to a gloomy grey day complete with drizzle of rain, too many deadlines looming in my head. I definitely got out of the wrong side of the bed and I grumped around growling to myself as I went downstairs to make the breakfast. Too wet for the garden and plants waiting patiently to be planted before they give up hope and wither. My energy levels were plummeting as the day got greyer. Ready to pick a fight with myself, and here was the final blow, I had stupidly let myself run out of a couple of household items I needed. No way, could I face going into the town, then inspiration struck, I would go the other way to my nearest little market town Brampton. Then another light bulb in my head lit up, I had been thinking that I needed to do a tour of the small surrounding villages before the Local History Exhibition on Saturday, to note the differences to the old photos, on a rainy day what better way to do it than to catch the twisty turning backwards and forwards country bus that takes over an hour to take me what normally takes ten minutes.

This is the Market Square in Brampton, looking towards the Moot Hall.

Off I went and caught the direct bus to Brampton, this would give me half and hour or so before having to catch the slow-mo bus back. Off I went to the Post Office, the Baker's and the lovely local Butcher's. Then there was just time to visit two charity shops and the local Moot Hall which is the tourist information centre. Luck was with me, I bought a beautiful foot high bluestoneware flagon, with a stopper cork and a wooden tap, which will look beautiful in my kitchen. Only £1 incredible. Inside the tourist information office was a sale of bargain books, selling wonderfully cheaply, just found time to purchase three of them before heading back to the bus stop.

This is looking from the Moot Hall down the other way towards St Martin's church.

The little bus turned up and I was the only passenger, these little buses only have six double seats on each side, a long back seat and a space at the front for pushchairs and parcels. I was already a bit more cheerful with my unexpected purchases. Well that was the most wonderful hour's journey, up and down hill, turns to the left then back out again turns to the right and back out again, almost doing complete circles from where we had started until I was set down just over one hour later two door away from my front door. I had seen pheasants a plenty, some strange type of wild geese, a crow and a bird of prey fighting, tiny lambs tottering around and some beautiful leggy foals in the fields with their mothers. Not to mention some wonderful old building and countryside. The blues had been blown away and the grumpiness shaken and rattled out of me by the twisty roads, and as a plus some locally made Cumberland Sausages to make a casserole with for dinner.

A close up of the Moot Hall, which is the tourist information centre.

Today I had to go into town, to the library to do some extra large photocopying for the exhibition on Saturday. On my way to the library I noticed that a new remainder bookshop had opened this week all books £2. What! I checked that out twice, in I went like pooh bear to a honey pot. Unbelievable books all at £2, I was spoilt for choice, I picked a wonderful book all about jade, another one quilting round the world and a beautiful book full of botanical illustrations through the ages. Some of these books had been over £30. Added a few fiction, rushed to the till and paid, and got out the shop pronto before I was tempted to buy more. I did manage ascertain that the shop will be there for six months, ummmm I'll definitely be back if books stay at that price and it was just not an opening offer.


I must show you this cute little woodland sprite I received from Lila of Indigo Pears as part of the ongoing Hello Dolly swap. She is called Fern and she is carefully carrying a nest of eggs. Isn't she just delicious?
St Martin's church Brampton

Dear Mrs Nesbitt, has tagged me with the following 40 questions, so here goes, deep breath and off I go:-

1. What is your occupation? My degree is in History, I don't want to sound stuffy and say I am a Historian, so perhaps, Researcher of Social History might be better. I can also complicate the matter by admitting I have a Dip AD in art and design as well.

2. What color are your socks right now? Bare feet.

3. What are you listening to right now? Chopin's Nocturnes, though I love a varied selection of music, especially old hippie stuff.

4. What was the last thing that you ate? Spring Vegetable Rolls

5. Can you drive a stick shift? Not quite sure what this means? Is it something to do with motorbikes?

6. If you were a crayon, what color would you be? Purple Haze.

7. Last person you spoke to on the phone? My daughter, Sweetpea.

8. Do you like the person who sent this to you? Yes, or I wouldn't be doing it.

9. How old are you today? About seven

10. Favorite drink? Wine, red, white or rose.

11. What is your favorite sport to watch? Hah you know about me and sport!

12. Have you ever dyed your hair? Yes, I'm not a true blonde.

13. Pets? Always, cats

14. Favorite food? At the moment, celery,nut and apple salad.

15. What was the last movie you watched? Howard's End.

16. What was the last book you read? Spirits in the Wires Charles de Lint.

17. What do you do to vent anger? Growl!

18. What was your favourite toy as a child? My doll's house.

19. What is your favourite, fall or spring? Spring because after that it's Summer and I have my garden.

20. Hugs or kisses? Depends who's doing the giving.

The interior of St Martin's Church Brampton showing the stained glass in situ.


21. Cherries or blueberries? Cherries.

22. Do you want your friends to leave you comments? Well that's what blogs are about.

23. Who is the most likely to comment? My little circle of regulars.

24. Who is least likely to comment? These people that visit everyday and just lurk, please try saying hello. I KNOW WHO YOU ARE, I could list you!

25. Living arrangements? An empty nest just my other half and I.

26. When was the last time you cried? Monday, just felt overwhelmed, see above.

27. What's on the floor of your closet? Handbags, shoes and of course, books.

28. Who is the friend you have had the longest? Pam

29. What did you do last night? Mounted photographs and cut out printed captions for them.

30. Favorite smells? Vanilla and Floral smells such as jasmine, lotus or rose.

Another of the stained glass panels designed by Sir Edward Burne-Jones.

31. What inspires you? The countryside and books.

32. What are you afraid of? Heights, mainly, I was terrified crossing the railway bridge in the wind at Thirsk and didn't want to sound a wimp by saying I was scared of heights. I won't even climb a ladder.

33. Plain, cheese or spicy hamburgers? Don't like hamburgers.

34. Favourite dog breed? greyhounds.

35. Number of keys on your key ring? Never carry a key ring or keys, I have ways and means.

36. Number of years at current job? Doesn't work like that, it's sporadic.

37. Favourite day of the week? Sunday for chilling.

38. How many states/countries have you lived in? One country, two counties.

39. Favourite holidays? Where else but Cornwall.

40. Ever driven a Motorcycle or heavy machinery? I can just see my other half shaking his head and he is now bend double with laughter!


20 comments:

knitphomaniac said...

Those are some beautiful pictures! I envy you being surrounded by such beautiful sites!

I used to live in Brampton, but the city of Brampton in Ontario, Canada, which I assure you isn't nearly as beautiful as your Brampton!

Julie said...

I guess I am a lurker! I didn't want to bother you by commenting too much, and am too intimidated to call you my friend. That would be an honor (honour, to you??) So incredible to think that you have stained glass windows by Sir Edward Burne-Jones in your nearest little market town. I was trying to think about what interesting things I might show you in Bismarck. Very little, I think, except Fort Lincoln, with its Mandan Indian earth lodges and the Custer House, re-built on its foundation. It is said to be haunted by George, Libby, and George's brother Tom.

KaiBlue said...

Hi Daisy.. Im lurking and saying hell-ooo!! teehee..Ok A stick shift is a Manual car as apposed to an
automatic tranny.. The stick is the thingie you shift with hence the american version of the little peanut. :) I love the tourist offices, i went into the one in thirsk and got a tun of pretty pictures to collage and map and such for free.. Including a lovely one of Cornwall.. :)
Groovie Meme..
Peace, Kai

kevin's blog said...

Any one want to visit Brampton?

I will viist Brampton. If you want to be on back seat, please go to my blog and leave my message.

http://www.bikerkiss.com/blog/kevin

Miss Robyn said...

Daisy - first of all you are more than a "Researcher of Social History" - you are an absolute genius when it comes to searching out ancestors xoxo

second - promise me that if I ever, ever get to visit, that you will take me on this bus to Brampton. Did you wear your magick hat?

Tinker said...

I'm glad you were able to turn your blue Monday around to a happy ending. What lovely photos. Enjoyed reading your meme answers. I've just realized with every one of these I read, I find one more scent that I think "Oh yes! I love that, too!" (Jasmine! Love it) At this rate, if I ever get around to this meme, I'll have to devote an entire page just to scents, lol.
xo

Brigitte said...

Just found this blog and wanted to say hello. Really like it. But what made me cry out YES, THAT'S IT! was your remark that even though you've a degree in history "historian" may sound stuffy, so you prefer researcher of social historiy. ME TOO!
Brigitte from Vienna, Austria

Beth said...

You know I don't lurk, just don't visit as much as I should. I do miss you and try to pop in at least once a week. I have had a rough week this week but today is another day. Enjoyed the pics and loved the MeMe.
xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Lan said...

A 'new lurker', altho' I did comment the other day.

The Cumbrian in London.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful pictures and works of art! Thank you for sharing them! The stained glass is just sooo beautiful! I love stained glass works! Anyhoo, wonderful wonderful post!
*HUGS*

Pennie said...

Hi Daisy -
Coming out of lurkdom to say the your pictures of Sir Edward Burne-Jones stained glass took my breath away. I've always loved his work and went to see his exhibit in NYC. Wow...to think you live near a village where you can see it so often...lucky you. =)

gma said...

How wonderful for you to be near those beautiful stained glass windows and such charming villages.
I am reading Precious Bane now because I saw that it was one of your favorites.... beautiful!
:-)

natural attrill said...

Hello there, thought I should 'delurk' after reading this and come and say hi again. Hope all is well for you!
Penny.
xx

Lila Rostenberg said...

Hello Daisy! I'm in Georgia, visiting my daughter but had to stop in to see how your week was going. You post such wonderful local photos; you are difinitely a social historian.
I'm glad you like Fern!

Gretel said...

There's nothing like a good haul of bargains to raise the spirits. And decent sausages of course...

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

I am so delighted your blue Monday turned itself around. I absolutely love seeing photos of the villages and hearing about the history. Those stained glass windows are amazing!!!
The meme was interesting too but I have a question, what is Dip AD? It sounds like your education background is quite fitting for the historical society you are doing for your village.
XOXO

Sheila said...

Daisy, I love it when you post photos of old chuches, stained glass and local scenes etc.
I enjoyed reading your meme, it's always interesting to learn something new about someone. I hate heights too..!
Hugs
xx

JacquiG said...

I've been to your Brampton (I'm also only about 45 mins from the Brampton in Ontario, Canada!). We stopped for lunch in your Brampton on the way to visit Hadrian's Wall. It is such a lovely little place. That bus ride sounds wonderful. I can't wait to see that countryside again.

I'll be just the other side of Carlisle in a couple of months!! I fly into Newcastle mid-June.

Where is that bookstore you found? Books for 2 pounds!! If it's not too difficult for Mum to get me too I wouldn't mind checking it out!

Shop girl said...

Hello Daisy,
I come by often to see if you have anything new...
Your meme is great, loved reading
it, strange the things you find you have in common...
The pictures are beautiful, I would frame them and hang them on my walls.
Thank you for stopping by my place...always welcome to take a peek and leave a note.
Hugs, Mary

Helen said...

Love your blog Daisy. I've lived in Australia since 1969,I was born in Tunbridge Wells down in Kent.Really miss all the Historical places to visit, but thanks to the Internet and blogs like yours, I'm transported. Thank You So Much.
Hugs, Helen