Friday, December 01, 2006


Today I am going to have a bit of a rant and rave. I know I did a happy Christmas is coming posting the other day, but this has been a very trying week for me. I just feel I want to get some of this anger out of my system, now, right at the beginning of December, so I can then calm down and have a peaceful Christmas. I have two 'bees in my bonnet' at the moment.

Firstly, my Mother is returning to her appartment from the residential home on Monday, now this should be a cause of joy and celebration and, admittedly, she is really pleased to be back in the privacy of her own home, but on the downward side she is now to put it bluntly, a prisoner inside it. She can move around with her zimmer frame, but can not ascend or descend steps of any kind. Well, that is really great considering her home is upstairs and outside her front door are a steep flight of stairs.

I attended a meeting at the residential home with my Mother and the care team leader and a social worker. We were there, alledgedly to discuss my Mother's case and the way forward. I say alledgedly, as I see now, it was obvious they had their own agenda, and the discussion part was just a front. My Mother may be eighty one, and be getting deaf but she has all her wits about her. As she needs things repeated to her, she does have an hearing aid which she can't wear as she can't fit it in, her hands are damaged with arthritis, they seem to be treating her as though she was four years old. Telling her nonsense, such as every little thing she does for her self, she should give herself a pat on the back and say 'yes! I can do it'. Speaking of keeping her morale up, I could not make them see it is being a prisoner in that flat that lowers here morale!



They said she could go home on Monday, was that ok, I suggested Tuesday, to give me time to get the flat heated, some food in etc, Total panic on their side, one said to the other in a stage whisper 'What about the other lady coming though?' Obviously they had someone booked into the room on Tuesday. If that was so why bother to ask me was Monday ok? So home she goes on Monday with a care package, which means someone pops in three times a day for a week, to see she has eaten her food.

I explained about wanting my Mother rehoused, so she could recover some quality of life. Social worker agreed she would need to be rehoused due to living upstairs, how quickly could this happen I think she is an urgent case, Social worker replies to me 'Put some applications in for her and see what you can do' I asked could she write a letter to the sheltered care people, she said, begrudgingly, she would but it probably wouldn't do much good. It seems to be me that is me that will be doing the social workers job for her, what on earth is she earning her money for. I stupidly thought social workers were supposed to help you fight for what you need. It was all a complete farce.

I told the social worker, she is now totally housebound, plus she can no longer use her bath as she can't get in it, reply was oh she can give herself a strip wash, she has been given a comode for night time use, who will empty it? She can't! She can't use her oven anymore, they think she should exist on microwave ready meals, she can't get to do her clothes washing. I went ballistic and kept asking 'This is the 21st century, what sort of quality of life is this for her? - And you talk about morale! The answer - comprises have to be made. To me these are not just comprises, this is going back to standards of living in Victorian times.

Another thing is that, most carers at the home have been lovely, but there are one or two who are to be quite blunt, aggressive and cruel, one of whom one day screamed at my Mother ' You are a liar' and another said that she had heard that my Mother had called her evil. My mother is shocked and terrified by this, and said she would rather crawl around her flat than be treated like that.



You can imagine how I feel, yes I feel like a Warrior Queen going into battle, standards flying, drums beating, nobody treats my Mother like this. I have already fired off missives of complaints to the County Council re: the meeting, and about the bad members of staff at the home. I also will as soon as she is out on Monday, so there can be no repercussions, write to the Manager of the Home about the staff incidents. Funnily enough I just read in the local paper tonight, that on a scale of stars, our County gets only one for its care of the Aged. If this is life for the aged in England today, I am almost ashamed to be English. Believe me, I am not giving up until I get my Mother settled in suitable accommodation.

The second rant is what is wrong with everything about Earth these days. The weather is just so strange, two parts of England have had tornado warnings!!!!! I know part of Canada had an earthquake, we have had rain almost constantly for about a month. Today is is sunny and so mild you think it was Spring. There are roses coming out again in my next door neighbour's garden, my magnolia and lilac trees are both forming buds. My lobelia is flowering again, seeds I planted to overwinter in the ground are sprouting up like mad. Everything is wrong.



Also people, what is getting into people, both in reality and in blogworld? Even in my small village, there have been some recent aggressive incidents, and in my nearest town, the amount of violence over the past couple of weeks has been incredible. In blogworld, there are one or two people cruelly deciding to cut people off as they cosy up to new friends leaving their old friends bewildered and confused. I am thinking of one person in particular. I also know of some people sending curt emails to each other, please let's keep our blogworld special, a place where we can support each other. So many of us seem to be under pressure and I don't really think it is just normal holiday season pressure, it seems to be blending in with the strange things that are happening on planet Earth.

I have this mad idea that somewhere up in space there is a space ship full of aliens who have got us, the people and the planet under control, manipulate us. I can see all these aliens sitting around a large screen with their hand control boxes, and saying to each other things like 'Look what I made those ones do' or 'Hey, watch me send a tornado through these houses'. If oly it were that simple.



Please, come on everybody, I know it is not the majority only a minority, 'Play nicely, Please' as we were told when we were children. Am I naive to think we can? I don't think so. Peace please, especially in this season of goodwill.

I promise that is my rant and rave over for this year. I will now have a jolly ho ho ho blog until Christmas and New Year. You know I don't whinge and whine that often, so it must be pretty serious to me.

Well if anyone is left reading after that verbal torrent,I must say I had a lovely surprise today, all the way from Canada, the most beautiful Christmas elf from Sheila. He will be up for Christmas, but I have a feeling he may hang up in my artroom the rest of the year with my Halloween witch. Photographs of him will be posted in due course, probably at Christmas when I photograph my decorated home.

Shh! Whisper it quietly, I can hardly believe that my next posting will be my 100th. When I started I never thought I would reach that many, I didn't think I had enough to talk about.! As if I am ever stuck for words!!!!




Don’t forget to join in Daisy Lupin's
Christmas Story or Memory Posting

Post a Christmas memory, story, even a ghost story
Or poem you would like to share,
More than one if you wish ,

Anytime between 17th and 24th December
Just let me know it is your contribution
I will transfer them to a temporary site
There they will remain for everyone to enjoy
Until the end of January.
Come on lets have a Giant Christmas Story Circle



21 comments:

Anonymous said...

sometimes Daisy - you just have to have a bit of a rant. I believe it is good for the soul - the ranting I do, I should be feeling on top of the world.
it is so hard when we have to deal with 'the powers that be' - they think they know everything, and really they don't know a thing. they think they know what is best and sometimes, don't you feel like kicking them?
I sure hope it all gets sorted out - you nor your mother need this kind of thing happening. and I hate how they treat elderly people like they have no brain. ooooh !!
as to the world - whether it be the blogging world or the real world - I agree it it just not 'right' - something is going on - maybe we are all being rewired, who knows. I know I have been off the planet lately but I try so hard not to hurt others feelings - I just want to be kind. isn't what it is all about?
most bloggers I have met are lovely - some are not.
and how lovely to receive the gift from Sheila! lucky you :)

Pear tree cottage! said...

Daisy lupin,
I read every word of this post and it got me more and more upset about your mum as I went further down the post. my gosh and as you say they are the social workers and are the ones who should be helping.

I would stand up and go nope you are to help or I will be writing to their boses and expaining why are we paying for staff/service who do not make solid decisions to get a dear lady back on her feet and with a little personal quality of lfe. for goodness sake what is happening to people are we not able to help our fellow man anymore, is it all about the dollar.

Now you have to understand I truly do not know much about your mums hearing aid but I have one and am very deaf!! but I know there are several different kinds some easier to get out then others. She must get something that she can use easily as it is so important to have it well placed so that there is no squeaking and feedback and that the batteries are new and if she can put it in and our easy I am sure she would feel not so much like she is in a box. I wish I was there I would come right on over and take a look at it so I could get it going properly fitted for you and her.

We also are having very strange weather and Australia down south here is running out of water and if the rains do not come we will have little or nothing left in the dams very soon.

sorry to have a rant myself but all you said, all of it is so true and it has upset me very much.

It is very nioce to be back at your blog sand it has taken me a long time to get back around to those I love to visit after my crash thingy with the computer and loosing all my info even my friends.

see you again real soon.
Lee-ann

Anonymous said...

The care of the aged is appauling in many places and it sickens me. Your mother should never have been allowed to return home with ALL the limitations she faces. The attitude of that staff is scandalous and the social worker obviously has no business in that field. I am so sorry you are having to deal with this and of course so sorry for your mom.
My mother FINALLY had a doctor come in to hospital today who is the most thorough we've seen in a LONG time. So many things were left unaddressed and my frustration until seeing this doc today was palpable to all.
If only we had POWER!!
as for the blogworld, I haven't experienced negativity but have seen it elsewhere. It saddens me greatly that people go out of their way for that. I agree, let's play nice people.
XOXO
sending you many hugs!

Anonymous said...

ps - go have a glass of good red! that will make you feel better xo

Rowan said...

What is happening to your mum is appalling but it doesn't surprise me at all. The way our elderly people are treated is a disgrace, instead of treating them with dignity and respect for the wisdom and experience they have gained with age they are treated like troublesome children. I frequently had to say to people when my mum was alive that she was deaf not daft - the two things appeared to be the same thing to a lot of people. I am really so sorry that you are having to cope with all this as I know from experience how distressing it is. I hope things do get better for both of you.

Anonymous said...

Daisy..it is OK! I ranted..but mine got lost in cyberspace, ha! I am so with you on the state of the earth and weather( I am so TIRED of hot weather -9 months of it now-that we are still having,,I could scream..in fact I have screamed!) And so many People are awful these days for no apparent reason. I am sorry your mum is having such a time of it. It doesn't make sense, does it? I want to enjoy Christmas, but everything keeps happening to keep me from it.!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Daisy, I'm sorry to hear about the way your mother has been treated. You have every right to rant and rave about such things. I read through to the end. I don't know anything about the blogger situation but I can tell you we have had some odd weather here, too. A couple of weeks ago it was in the 90's and now it's into the teens at nighttime! Quite a change in just a small space of time....and not normal for this time of year.

Heather said...

Your mum is very lucky to have you in her life to advocate for her! I'm sending you both virtual hugs.

Anonymous said...

How brutal society must be if they think adapting means being confined to a flat and living on microwaved food. Where is the quality of life?
I know it won't make you feel any better but it is the same here..I remember being insensed the first time you documented her treatment, I can only imagine how you must feel.The world does seem to be going to hell in a hand basket, but I think it was ever thus.
I recall my grandfather talking about 'his day' and how awful the world was becoming, and that was in the 60's. Is this evolution, are we subjected to the changes in order for the human race to evolve..into what I cannot say.I know I find myself comparing everything to when I was younger..and I don't consider myself old now..and the world is not the same. We just have to make sure our contribution to the lives of the people around us and to the earth is the very best we can make it. As for climate change..that has been happening for eons..it seems now that the process has sped up, and we notice the changes more because of it.

Tinker said...

Oh no, Daisy! I'm so sorry your mother and you are having to go through such a tangled ball of red tape...Bureaucracies (and bureaucrats and their ilk) can just be so maddening! And yes, you would think the social workers would be working on the side of you and your mother - har-rumph! Good for you though, strapping on your sword and shield, ready to go to battle for her quality of life! I'm cheering you on - Go get 'em, Daisy - you can do it!
As for blogging, I know I would never want to hurt anyone's feelings, or make anyone feel excluded (and if I ever do this even accidentally, I would want someone to let me know so I could make amends). I haven't heard of whatever situation's going around right now (I've been rather out of it with that NaNoWriMo thing and am still getting caught up), but I hope whoever's involved will remember the spirit of the season, and be kind to their fellow bloggers. Otherwise, it's letting more darkness in, and blocking out the Light from their own spirits, which doesn't do anyone's karma any good. Praying for live and light to prevail for us all.
The Earth changes are rather disturbing. I keep praying about that, and hoping that the Earth is just straightening up and getting back in balance. We had warm, warm weather all through the fall, then suddenly it's gotten very chilly, without the gradual transition time we'd normally have. Hope it's all only temporary adjustments to the cycles on the Earth's part.
Hope you're feeling better now - sometimes we all need a good rant to vent off some of the steam. Glad you had a lovely present arrive to help balance out the aggravations. Have a wonderful weekend, Miss Daisy!
xo

Lila Rostenberg said...

Daisy,
Your 99th post was powerful. Taking care of our parents is no easy task. She is fortunate to have you to help (even though you may feel frustrated). As ususal your graphics are amazing...wonderful crone images and the warrior queen...then they change to "sweeter" images as you talk about environment and the blogging community.
Looking forward to your 100th post and to seeing the elf from Sheila, too...Re: the blogging community---- if you don't hear from me for a while, it would just mean that I have gone off in some other creative direction for a bit...or that my family/friends/work around here are taking precedence.

Beth said...

OH Daisy,,I am so sorry about the way your Mom has been treated. I am like you "no one treats my Mom that way",,a person in our group tried to be ugly to my mom,,need I say she is no longer in there?
I am sorry I havent visited your blog this week, between Janes visit and now I am down in my back, I haven't been too good on the blog.
Our weather is freeky here too. It was 76 on Thursday, and yesterdays high was 35 and fell into the low 20s last night. I am like you,,its those damn Aliens!
I hope you have a great week-end, and you can rant any time you want too.
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Carole Burant said...

(((Daisy))) You certainly have every reason to rant...our mothers are special and NO one should treat them the way yours has!! After reading about it, I want to go over there and give them all a piece of my mind too!! I know if it was my mom, I would be livid too! Your mom is the one suffering in all of this fiasco and I do truly pray that someone will finally help. As for the world...I agree with you, it's acting way too weird for my liking! We had that 4.1 earthquake, mild temps which is unheard of here in November, now a storm with gusts of winds so strong, it was terrifying to hear the windows rattling! And then the blogging world...I hear stories of what sometimes goes on and it makes me cringe. I just want to be there for anyone who needs me. Hugs xoxo

Anonymous said...

Sometimes people who care for the elderly forget that they deserve dignity...they are treated like a problem rather than a person. So sorry that is going on with you....Have cried many tears myself over this issue.. I watched my sweet elders fade into oblivion....Yes...you should report this social worker...she isn't doing her job!

Anonymous said...

Dear Daisy, I read your very excellent RANT through to the end. The feeling of powerlessness that comes from social services and caregivers is horrible. Your mom's experience and your reaction reminded me of my feelings as my mom declined over a period of four months. I felt a coldness and lack of feeling from many of the therapists we had to deal with. Interestingly, the best people were the nurses and aides. There was a lot of goodness at that particular nursing station.

Clearly, these "professionals" are collecting a paycheck and giving minimal effort. I wonder if this might be, in part, due to lack of a good superstructure to care for the aging in your area. This, of course, does not excuse disinterest, but the problem seems to be deeply entrenched and idealism and a desire to serve can be quickly ripped away from the very people who are supposed to be in a position to help.

Weather - I think we must all be noticing unusual shifts planetwide. Scary. We had below freezing weather here a few nights ago. That should not hit us until January. Deeply disturbing.

Blogworld - Like others, I've heard of negativity and personal attacks via email but have not experienced it myself. Well, I take that back. There was a crazy lady once about four years ago. Thank God she lives in Germany. That serious geography gave me a feeling of safety. I do not understand what gets into people but the solution is to use the block button liberally when a crazy comes at you. I did. Problem solved.

Anonymous said...

Reading your post I thought it was such a positive approach to preparing for Christmas, getting rid of the anger, how many people drag the anger about with them, making it a pretty negative place for those around them.

My mum died 12 years ago, and reading your post reassured me, that like you I did all I could for mum, this now gives me a solid comfort.
Doing all you are doing is a sound way to show your mum how much she is so loved.
Remember too I am not far away, you can alwayspick up the phone and have a chat!

Blogworld & cyberworld are both exceedingly good and can be exceedingly bad. Only last week I had a dreadful experience wherby 2 comments I made were taken completely out of context and used as a cruel weapon against me, by people I thought I knew....
I was so angry and so hurt.
Reading your post made me realise I have had my rant and now will move on....it is their narrowminded problem not mine.

Thanks dear, remember I am over the hills (and far away !! LOL)

Lisa said...

Congratulations on 100 coming up! I'm sorry things are not going smoothly for your mom's transition back into her home. You would think that things would be easier. They (elder caregivers, insurance people,e tc) have been predicting the larger population of elderly for some time now, yet it's as if they haven't actually prepared for it in any meaningful way. Your mom is very blessed to have you. Many aren't as fortunate and would be stuck in a bad situation.

I've been kind of out of the blogging world thing. I think I have too many to read and too many pretty pictures to look at and I become oblivious to the blog underbelly. LOL Some days I spend all my computer time just looking at pictures on Flickr. I'm a sad case. :) I do try to stay caught up with my glitter sisters but I am still often shocked by how many posts I have let go by. I check Violette's site daily just to be sure I know everyone is ok.

I am so looking forward to seeing your Christmas pictures.

Naturegirl said...

Daisy this post is very close to my heart! I have not said anything but I know the stress you are experiencing with regards to the heartless attitudes of the case workers in the residential home. I saw with my own mother who is 83 and diagnosed with dementia how people who are supposed to be professionals caring for our aged treat them with little dignity and respect! I have in the past several months been the {{{LOUD VOICE}}}..the watchdog.. my mothers advocate in many situations! I see how ridiculous it is when I have to get onto a {{wait list}} when attempting
support from various agencies funded by our gov't!I know all too well your frustration.All we want for our mother is good care in a safe enviroment so they can live with dignity and respect for the days they have left.Our mothers are
fortunate to have daughters who will speak for them.I could go on but I won't because this topic really hit a nerve. Can you get your mom into private care if you sold her home? I
did just that with my mother..too dangerous for her to live independantly.Wishing you and your mom peace. Hugs NG
P.S. The Earth situation another bee in my bonnet but I have said enough.

Anonymous said...

My my but you did have a stressful week1 i am glad you ranted and raved. it is so much better than holding it in. Hang in there and all will sort itself out I am sure.

Christine Walker said...

I just happened on your blog by way of "middle of nowhere" and it really hit a nerve. I am the full time care giver for my mom, for the very reasons you have talked about. The daycare worker who was going be in charge of her during the day was just horrible. I was told that once she was in the system I would lose all rights to decision making for her if the social workers disagreed, even to what care facility she could be in. It was the most awful thing I have ever been through. I hope you keep advocating for your mother, all she has is you, and she sounds like she is very lucky in that respect.

Suzie Q said...

Good for you, Daisy! I'm glad to read this post from the advantage of being in February now, and knowing that you have moved your Mum into somewhere much more suitable. I don't know all the ins & outs, but you obviously did a good job of sticking up for your Mum's rights. No easy task in this country these days. I hope your Mum is settling into her new surroundings nicely, and that she will be very happy there.

And as for the rest of the world!?! It's going completely barmy around us! The weather, the blummin' saft bloggers upsetting each other, absolute madness! I hope all is calm & serene in your world today, Daisy. :)

Blessings & Hugs,
Suze xXx