Thursday, December 14, 2006


It's always around about this time in the days before Christmas, that I have had enough of preparations, and now just want to wind down and enjoy the holiday season. I can't stand to be in a panic very near Christmas with a long list of 'to dos', although there have been many years when I have been. I have done really well this year, despite, being extra busy, and all the presents are bought, but not wrapped, that is a joy for me to do and I will do it next week. The cards are written and sent and the major cookery and baking is over. The decorations are just about up, except for a little tweaking here and there, and my home is just about ready for the children's return.

I am not giving myself pat on the back because, I have just been lucky this year in fitting it all in, although where once I would have been in a panic, I think as I get older, I am now much more philosophical and think 'well, if it's not done, it's not done and it won't spoil Christmas for me'. I have seen a younger version of myself, run raggeded before Christmas and not be able to relax when Christmas came. Too much organisation kills Christmas. I want to start relaxing now.



Next week I will be making my mince pies and sweets, both a joy to do, I'll bake up a storm with Christmas music playing, dancing round the kitchen, and then one evening I will take over the dining room table, place a bottle of wine and a glass there, bring the presents out and once again wrap to the sound of Christmas melodies whilst singing along. The sweet recipes are from Pea's site [Thank you for sharing them Pea] and choc and raspberry bars are from Vicci's [Thank you for that scrumptious looking bar Vicci]. The only thing to work out.I can work out American cup measurements, but can any one tell me - What is a stick of butter in weight in the USA?

All the shopping left to do is fresh fruit and veg at the end of next week, which I will go to the nearest small market town for. After this week I will not be going anywhere near the nearest town I always go, to much rushing around of last minute shoppers, overactive children and drunken office workers. Not that I'm against all that, I just will leave it for them to enjoy. I want to start chilling. I'm just saying to you all if it isn't done, leave it just start enjoying Yuletide, worrying spoils Christmas.




I have just been on my last supermarket trip before Christmas, with the weather being so wet and windy, we can very occasionally lose power, at peak times, so it was mainly things like, plain candles, lightbulbs, batteries, matches and one or two little odds and ends, that I happened to see like a good special offer on chestnuts and some rather nice looking bottled fruits.

My local supermarket is an out of town Tesco, and you would have thought Christmas was this week the crowds that jostling round it. I just needed a small trolley which was just as well, all the giant ones were in use. People were staggering out with groaning heaving trollies of food and drink, I made a mental note to make sure that next year I organise my shopping as well as this year. Though I have to admit I don't ever do giant supermarket shops. I have Tesco deliver all my staples once a month, so my shopping every week is not horrendous, it's a system I have used for two years.



I have been gathering treats around the front, main living room, a rush basket with some magazines in I am looking forward to reading, a pile of new books to read on the long chest, and in the stereo cupboard, the Christmas, classical and late night smoky jazz cds, I want to chill to.
The Wizard of Oz on top of the dvd player, and a boxed set of Audrey Hepburn films I got at a bargain price a couple of months ago that I have been saving. Everytime I look at them I think of the pleasures I have in store. Small pleasures make life joyful. The only glitch on the horizon, is that the river has risen to the top of the banks and we are on floodwatch, we just have to get through the next day and hope the rain will stop. Also this terrible wet and windy weather has meant there has been no time to get out and cut some holly branches on a walk.

The Christmas site is open on Sunday, 17th so I hope you have all had time in your busy schedules to think of something to post. I have nearly finished my story but it is slightly long, but never mind, the site is open for reading until the end of January, so no doubt people will have more time after the festivities.

I am now going to try and get round as many sites as possible, before people think I have disappeared off the face of the earth, but we are all just so busy at the moment.


http://daisyschristmascircle.blogspot.com/
Open this Sunday, 17th
Daisy Lupin’s Christmas Story or Memory Posting
Post a Christmas memory, story, even a ghost story
Or poem you would like to share,
More than one if you wish
,
Last postings 24th December
Just let me know it is your contribution
I will transfer them to a temporary site
There they will remain for everyone to enjoy
Until the end of January.

Come on lets have a Giant Christmas Story Circle

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Daisy, it sounds as if you have everything in hand. Good for you..!
I have a few things to do, a little more shopping, and thats it. I don't stress. Christmas comes if we are ready or not, so why make it a problem. I'm looking forward to quiet times, good food, and a restful holiday. I have my Christmas post ready for the 17th. I was organized enough to do it when you first suggested it. Enjoy your baking session and all your saved treats..xoxoxo

Lila Rostenberg said...

You are ready to enjoy some quiet reflective time before Christmas!...I too know what you mean about not stressing so much about all the little things as we have enough experience now to know we can enjoy Christmas anyway. I hope your rains stop!

Anonymous said...

A stick of butter equals 1/2 cup. I hope that helps....or I think it works out to 8 tablespoons.

It sounds as if you have everything under control and well organized. I wish I could say the same!!

Carole Burant said...

Daisy, one stick is 8 tablespoons or 1/2 a cup...I had to find out myself a couple of weeks ago! lol If you have any problems with the recipes I had posted, just let me know:-) Sounds like you have everything under control...I'm all ready and now just enjoying each day as it nears to Christmas!! We've been getting a lot of rain too and all our snow is now gone...bah humbug! Hope you've had a wonderful day xoxo

Anonymous said...

My my, Daisygirl. You have been so busy! I would drop of exhaustion if I had done all that you did. Re your comment, I think it was total puppetry, and excellent! If you noticed at one time when he tried to escape,the second one floated with no contact at all (strings from above?). And his expression never changed, not once. And for a moment, there was almost total darkness, dark enough for the first guy to slip down under his loose clothing and put up a fake head. Anyhow, it was fun, however he did it. Apparently he got some kind of award too. Well deserved. Now relax and get busy with that wrapping and the bottle of wine. ;)

Patry Francis said...

So envy your organization. I'm just beginning...

Tinker said...

There are 8 Tablespoons in a stick of butter and when I looked at the package, it said one Tablespoon equalled 14 grams. So I would suppose you could multiply 14 x 8 to find the weight in grams. I hope that helps...
Glad to hear you're at a point where you can just relax and enjoy Christmas. Smart lady, finishing it all early. Wish I could say the same, lol.
Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

MMMM Daisy...what smokey jazz cd's do you have? That sounds lovely. Have fun in the kitchen. Enjoy!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Daisy, just to let you know that I have read this post but have so much to say ! will do so over today xxo

Naturegirl said...

Much to do and quite organized. I have kept Christmas very simple this year both in preparation and gift purchases.I still have a few cards to write and the only frustration it seems is this Blogger thing that has taken the fun out of commenting.
I wish you a very Merry holiday season!

Anonymous said...

Merry christmas Daisy, just stopped by to say hello.. super nice post :)
PEace, Kai

Alice said...

I loved reading about your Christmas preparations, Daisy. You sound like you're really ready to enjoy all the celebrations with family. I do hope the weather will be kind and not black you out.
(If the weather was kind here, it would rain for weeks on end ... but no such luck, I'm afraid.)

I would love to contribute a story for your Christmas Selection. I just hope I can remember to do it...lol

Anonymous said...

I am going to sit down tonight, watch a favourite movie and wrap my gifts. I don't have many to wrap so it won't be major chore.
Over the years, I too have run myself ragged (ragged robyn) and in the end it just wasn't worth it. So this year, like you I have made Christmas simpler.
I am going to be busy this week getting the house 'finished' and cooking the last bits, but come next weekend - I am doing not much at all until Christmas day.
Your Christmas sounds wonderful daisy xoxo

Anonymous said...

Dear Daisy! You deserve to Chill! I. on the other hand...still have a LOT to do! Its that darn cleaning! I am such a terrible housekeeper that when I have to cclean for company it is a MAJOR ordeal! At least now my living room is livable and cozy!

Anonymous said...

Organized! Lovely and now you can enjoy the aspects you love...baking and wrapping presents and relaxing with family, favourite movies and books! Wonderful.

vicci said...

Daisy....I will be reading all the wonderful stories!!! Ho! Ho! Ho! hope you have a Beautiful Christmas! Love, Vicci

tlchang said...

You sound organized, busy and very festive. I know about 'dropping off the face of the earth' but in our case it has been because of power outages for DAYS here...

Peppermint and pine hugs!