Tuesday, May 01, 2007

A HAPPY MAY DAY TO YOU ALL



HAL AN TOW, JOLLY RUMBLE O

FOR WE WERE UP LONG BEFORE THE DAY O

TO WELCOME IN THE SUMMER O

WELCOME IN THE MAY O

FOR SUMMER IS A-COMIN' IN

AND WINTER IS A GONE


May Morning has dawned bright and sunny, it seems so long since we had a true sunny MayDay. I hope you are all getting up early and washing your face in the May Day dew, then scouring the woods for sticks and flowers to make Kissing Balls. By breakfast we will have made the Kissing Balls and the food will be being made for the May Day feast. We must put our finest dresses on and help each other decorate our hair with spring blooms, because we are off to dance round the maypole on the village green before choosing the May Queen and her attendents. We shall watch a Mumming Play, concerning St George and the Dragon performed by travelling players. Then there will be feasting and dancing taking us up to the moment when the beacon on the far hillside will be lit as day ends and the bonfire on village green will echo it. Late in the evening we may be blessed by a fleeting visit by the Green Man and his Lady, before young village couples slyly sneak away to leafy bowers. There will probably one or two hasty weddings in the next couple of months. I hope you have enjoyed your visit to a traditional English May Day.




I was pleased with the Local History Exhibition, it was never crowded but we had a steady stream of visitors, of which the best thing was that I noticed all that came seem to spend over an hour looking at the photographs and reading the text and documents. We also made a pleasing amount in our Donations Box. One man, who came lives in two old cottages he knocked together, when he was renovating and knocked down a wall there in a little niche he found this tiny brown leather shoe from the late 1700's. It was exquisite workmanship, I thought it was too tiny to have been worn, except for a very young baby, but couldn't see a young baby wearing shoes. It could have been specially made or perhaps very young babies wore such shoes. There is a tradition of building a niche in walls and hiding a shoe in it for luck for the houses. People brought me old photographs to look at and copy, and one man even gave us some old local postcards to keep. Everyone said how enjoyable it was and I was interviewed for the Parish Council magazine LOL!



One man at the exhibition can read houses, by that I mean nothing psychic, he is a retired builder who has always dealt in renovations and he knows what property originally looked like, apparently there are clues in homes. I know from what he has told me before that upstairs my bathroom and one bedroom are a lot more modern built than the rest of the cottage and my dining room and kitchen used to be a single story with just my living room and morning room, where the stairs are having an upper floor, and my upstairs corridor is also a more modern division.



The man that reads houses made me think that I don't think I have ever mentioned the underground stream in my back garden. Before our next door neighbour's moved their son was talking to me about our two gardens, and he told me about when they were digging a trench to make a new bed and to build a wall that deep underneath the soil there is an underground stream, he said that it followed on in our garden. Where it followed on in our garden is on the shady side and it is where I plant my irises which always flourish and I know some types of Iris do like damp conditions.



I bought a pair of dowsing rods, this was about two years ago, and dowsed my garden with them. I was really excited when they started to cross where the underground stream was supposed to be and I could follow the crossing of them across the garden. Then my other half started to look at maps and eventually, with looking at maps and walking the land he found the tiny stream. It breaks away from the main beck and runs down the edge of a couple of fields in the open then after the last field it disappears into an open green space planted with trees oppposite some pensioners' bungalows, it then runs underground through our gardens and we even found where it joins up with the beck again. After it goes through about four gardens it goes under the road and across to where the bridge over the beck is. I find this absolutely fascinating.



One serious thing to think about. My other half showed this article he had been reading about mobile phone masts and honey bees. Apparently scientists think that the rays being emitted from these masts are confusing the navigational system of bees, who are becoming confused and unable to find their hives, also they are becoming confused in their collection of pollen. The article spoke to bee keepers who live beside these masts and they were losing colonies of bees. One man had lost eighty per cent of them. These masts are everywhere in the countryside. Please keep a watch out for bees, I know it is early in our part of England but I have not seen many bees, can we all watch throughout the summer and see if bees are as plentiful as usual or not.




If we lose the bees nature will be in a dreadful state and so will the human race, no one should under estimate the job bees do, they are our chief pollinators, plants will not exist without them. If these rays are affecting the bees, please just stop and think what are they doing to us? I think I might have mentioned in an earlier posting that I was having really bad sleep patterns, and was told to remove my mobile phone from the bedside table as it was too near my head and its rays could interfere with my brain's sleep pattern. I did that and since then, it may be co-incidental, but I have slept soundly. So many people seem to be at a low ebb at the moment it does make you wonder if some modern day appliances are causing some sort of energy waves that are detrimental to certain people.

15 comments:

Sheila said...

Happy May Day Miss Daisy..!
I find it very interesting that you have a stream under your garden..and that your house began as a single story...don't you wish the walls could talk..!
I will watch the bees here, and see if I notice any difference. Last year we had so many, but the the previous year we saw none, and that was bourne out by the fact we had no fruit on our trees, and no, we do not spray or use insecticides.

Lila Rostenberg said...

Happy May Day...Kissing balls! I'll have to do some more research on that! I truly enjoyed your description of May Day in an English village!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post! I love it Happy May Day to you tooo!!!Thank's for sharing! :)
*HUGS*

Tinker said...

Happy May Day,Daisy! How wonderful that you're going to be interviewed!

Dowsing rods, and underground streams, tiny shoes hidden in walls (maybe it's a fairy shoe!) - what fun mysteries you have there, Daisy...

I've been following the bee story for a while now...they're calling it 'Colony Collapse Disorder' and it's apparently very widespread - there are a number of pathogens involved, but the key thing is why they are suddenly so susceptible to all these pathogens, which is where things like radio and wireless frequencies come into the picture. Some scientists think it may interfere with the bees ability to navigate, in finding its way back from the flowers to its hive - many hives have been found apparently abandoned, with just a few dead bees. The really frightening thing to think about is how many of our crops are dependent on bees pollinizing them - which is why Albert Einstein once said, if the bees go, mankind will follow in short order.
I don't know if it really has anything to do with it, but strangely enough, I don't have a cell phone - but I do have a lemon tree that is filled with buzzing bees...I'd been thinking of getting one - but I think I'd rather have the bees! Thanks for spreading the word about this, Daisy.
Happy May Day!
XOXO

J C said...

Happy May Day. A traditional English May Day celebration sounds like great fun. Wish I could be there.

gma said...

My Grandparents always dowsed for water. In fact my Mother told me she was an adult before she realized there were other ways to find water. We know an old gentleman who dowses maps for all kinds of things....very interesting post. Glad the exhibition went well!
xo

KaiBlue said...

happy first of May to you Ms Daisy..
:) It's a shift in the universe and bee's are dissappearing here.. I wonder where they went?
Peace, Kai

Julie said...

I can just visualize your May Day village. I had to research Beltane/May Day, but you probably knew all about it! And always, you pick such lovely illustrations.

Patty said...

Happy May Day to you too. Very interesting post. I always enjoy your blog

Miss Robyn said...

Daisy - the disappearance of the bees has been a concern of mine for awhile now and your information is like another nail in the coffin.
I hate mobile phones - I have one but it stays in my car for emergencies - I know of people who have been advised by their Drs to keep the phones away from their head as some have developed brain tumours... microwaves are another pet hate of mine - I have never had one *off my soap box*
Your May day sounds wonderful... I know I have said it many times but how I wish that I lived 'up there' where the seasons are the right way round...

Miss Robyn said...

oh & Daisy - is it correct that children conceived at Beltane are 'special' ?

Jeanie said...

Hi, Daisy! I haven't been able to comment on anyone's blog for whatever reason blogger decided. But I've been reading and enjoying with great interest your journey leading to the history event and I'm pleased it was so successful.

I must tell you that each post of yours takes me into a wonderful world where things are beautiful, magical, laden with history, and awaking to a new season! Thanks!

Happy Day-After-May-Day!

couragetocreatewriteandlove said...

What can I say! You are such a woman! so smart and appreciative of everything! I enjoy every single ilustration you posted too. Congratulations for your energy taking you to lead a great life!

Carole Burant said...

Happy May Day to you too dear Daisy...one day late! lol We don't celebrate May Day here in Canada so I had fun learning all about its traditions. I'm so glad your exhibition went so well...I would have been fascinated by those little shoes too! Such a discovery also to learn that you have an underground stream!! I had also read something about the bees and you're right....if they don't function right, we're going to see its effects! xoxo

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

Happy May Day, a day later. I knew you'd have a lovely post about it!!
How interesting about the stream and and your homes origin. Do you have any idea how many previous owners there were or the year it was built? I would think with your historical prowess you may be able to find photos or information!
Speaking of which I am so glad you even went well and that you had a good amount of visitors stopping in. It may grow and grow with more people knowing about it.
XOXO